Bermagui & Surrounds
Perhaps the most spectacular is the coastal walking
track from Paynes Island (Wallaga Lake Bridge) to the Blue Pool via Murunna Point, Camel Rock, Haywards Beach, Moorheads Beach, Horseshoe Bay and Point Dickinson. Several entry/exit points allow for shorter walks or the
fit can try the whole 9km and enjoy the bird hides along the way.
Mount Dromedary - walking track from Tilba Tilba beside Pam's Store takes about 5 hours for the 11 km return walk through lush rainforest to the summit with views of the coast and seaward to Montague Island. This walk is not for the faint-hearted. Steep in places.
- Horseshoe Bay off Lamont Street is sheltered and ideal for children.
- Beares Beach off Scenic Drive is a surf beach.
- Moorheads Beach at the end of Wapengo Street on the northern side of the harbour is an excellent surf beach.
- Haywards Beach - enter from southern or northern branches of old highway (no through road) is a good surf beach.
- Cuttagee Beach, south of town, a good uncrowded surf beach.
- Camel Rock Beach, north of town, excellent surfing beach.
- Blue Pool, off Scenic Drive, watch for sign on ocean side - large salt water pool right on the edge of the ocean.
- Bruce Steer Pool, at the entrance to the harbour, just past the boat launching ramp. Very safe beach, especially for children.
- Bermagui Harbour - fishing fleet, co-op fish shop, boat launching ramp and trailer parking, fish cleaning tables, weigh-in gantry for game fish.
Scenic Forest Drive
North of town, watch for sign posts. Spotted gum and burrawang palms with picnic area beside backwaters of Wallaga Lake.
- Haywards Beach, Moorheads Beach, Camel Rock and Cuttagee Beach are good for salmon and tailor.
- Bermagui Headlands, Wallaga Lake mouth and headlands south into Mimosa Rocks National Park are popular rock fishing spots.
- Estuary fishing in the Bermagui River and Wallaga Lake can be very rewarding. Ask for local advice at bait and tackle shops.
- Charter Boats - deep sea and game fishing trips available, also diving charters. Enquire at boat harbour, bait and tackle shops.
Bermagui River Park is just upstream from the bridge. Boat launching ramp and trailer parking, picnic area and toilets.
Golf, Bowls or Tennis
Bermagui Country Club, Tuross Street has excellent 18 hole golf course, bowling greens, tennis courts, restaurant and pokies.
While you're in Bermagui ...
- Michael Lerner Lookout - 3 km south of Bermagui beside the Tathra Road. Beautiful views of the coast, barbecues.
- Cuttagee Lake and Beach - 8 km south on Tathra Road, great prawning and fishing, picnic area, uncrowded beaches. Sheltered area of lake near bridge ideal for children.
- Mimosa Rocks National Park - 18 km south of Bermagui, access from the Tathra Road. Parts of the road are unsealed (7km), winding and rough in places.
- Aragunnu Beach - has a primitive camping area with toilets and barbecues, but take your own water. The coastal scenery is beautiful with abundant rock pools, tracks to boulder beaches, wildflowers and great fishing.
- Camel Rock - just off Wallaga Lake Road, 8 km north of Bermagui sits the lifelike Camel Rock - great for swimming, fishing, picnic area.
- Wallaga Lake - on Wallaga Lake Road 10 km north of Bermagui. Great fishing, prawning and all water activities from swimming to skiing, sailing to canoeing. Turn left at Beauty Point for boat launching ramp and picnic area. Top spot for swimming, sailing, fishing, prawning and water skiing too. Another picnic area and toilets are located just south of Wallaga Lake Bridge.
Just 20 minutes drive west of Bermagui is a working village on the Princes Highway. It has wonderful old stores to browse through: galleries, antiques, craft shops, pottery studios and tea rooms.
Twenty minutes to the north of Bermagui is a turn-of-the-century village which has been classified by the National Trust. Situated on the slopes of Mount Dromedary, Central Tilba is a great place to visit to see the old ABC cheese factory, and shops, woodturning, pottery, and antiques and welcoming tea rooms. There's also a winery just out of Tilba.
View our Photo Gallery for more of Bermagui's beautiful surrounds.
Horseshoe Bay Beach